Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What are we thinking?

Okay, so I admit that I am drastically overweight and that is mostly because I eat too much at a meal; but today I got an absolute shock. While at the convenience/gas station all these people came out with 52 ounce glasses of soda. Now given that a cola has about 100 calories per 8 ounces, which means that these people are drinking about 650 calories per glass. For a woman who is moderately active, 2000 calories is probably the maximum number of daily calories she should consume. So that drink is about 30% of a woman's calorie needs.

Perhaps the most startling was the little girl (probably 5-6 years old) and her sister who each came out with a 52 ounce drink and a snack. Assuming that the pop was not diet pop, that means they were getting about 45% of their daily calorie needs in the beverage alone.

Like I said, I am really overweight but even I have to wonder at the beverage consumption habits of the US population. Now I know that those drinks were on sale for 79 cents, but just because it is on sale does not mean we need to buy it.

1 comment:

The Short Stack Librarian said...

I too struggle with this ... being overweight and seeing how our society advocates it through actions but is so harsh on it in the media.

If only our cars could run on Red Pop!