Friday, July 18, 2008

Respect (Neither Wolf nor Dog)

I just went home to visit with my mom. Because I was going to be there for her book group, I read Neither Wolf nor Dog by K. Nerburn. It was a really good book on the differences between "white" culture and Lakota culture, at least from the perspective of Dan (a Lakota man) and Nerburn. Reading it, particularly the first several chapters, really helped me understand some cultural and perspective differences. But there were some points that I really strongly disagreed with. I thought I would take a moment to think about them here.

One of the most problematic items is the issue of respect. I keep hearing these demands for respect but they are so one sided. Dan frequently demands respect under his own terms, but is totally unwilling to offer it under his white author's cultural rules. In fact, Dan is downright insulting and the Nerburn talks as if we are supposed to believe that is okay. If we are ever going to heal the rifts between the individuals in this country, we are going to have to start respecting each other. That does not simply mean that I respect you; it also means that you show me respect. If we come from different cultures, then we each should be striving to show that respect under the other individual's cultural rules. We won't always succeed, but we should try. It is not okay with me if any member of a "minority" culture is insulting. Different cultures are not an adequate excuse, particularly if I am trying.

No comments: