Thursday, February 07, 2008

Not all Hospices are created equal

Today I called the Hospice program in Great Falls and spoke to Lisa, our social worker. I explained my concerns and that I wanted to know if there was a way we could get Mom help with getting Dad in and out of bed. Turns out that the hospice program in Great Falls, unlike any of the other ones I know about, does not have a 24 hour care program. They are in the process of putting one together and we would be the perfect candidates but it is not functional yet. Argh!

On the other hand, Lisa thinks my parents are "delightful" and was able to talk to Dad about what he wanted for his final days. Not that Dad was totally cooperative – he told Lisa that his dad lived long after the doctors thought he would and that he expected to do the same. He also told her he had no spiritual beliefs – not exactly true as I understand his beliefs. He is strongly atheistic – he believes we are only a collection of atoms and electrical charges: no soul, no afterlife.

No comments: